I’ve had my nose buried in a tricky copy-editing job and only just surfaced for air. In the name of professionalism I can’t post about work I’m actually doing, and I’ve been living and breathing this particular subject for several weeks. I’ve even dreamed about the references!
As a result I’ve fallen behind on finding out what is going on in the world of writing and literature, so in the process of catching up I thought I would compile a few of the writing/literature events taking place in the UK in August to October.
- 5-7 August: NiddFest
- 13-29 August: Edinburgh International Book Festival
- 27-28 August: Beyond Borders International Festival of Literature and Thought
- 2-4 September: NAWGFest
- 15-18 September: Noirwich Crime Writing Festival
- 22-25 September: The Graham Greene International Festival
- 23 September-2 October: Appledore Book Festival
- 23 September-2 October: Wakefield LitFest
- 26 September-2 October: Lincoln Book Festival
- 30 September-2 October: King’s Lynn Poetry Festival
- 30 September-9 October: Bath Children’s Literature Festival
- 30 September-9 October: Wimbledon BookFest
- 1 October: New Writers UK Book Festival
- 1-9 October: Everybody’s Reading
- 3 October: Free workshop on Story Grids – Techniques to Improve Your Writing
- 3-9 October: Warwick Words
- 6-15 October: Birmingham Literature Festival
- 7-16 October: Cheltenham Literature Festival
- 7-16 October: Durham Book Festival
- 14-22 October: Wells Festival of Literature
- 21-29 October: ‘Unputdownable’ – Bristol Festival of Literature
One event I’m particularly looking forward to is Leicestershire author Steve Bowkett’s workshop on ‘Story Grids: Techniques to Improve Your Writing’, which will take place on 3 October, 14:00-16:30 at The Dock, 75 Exploration Drive, Leicester, LE4 5NU. Steve aims to help you form a narrative organically and ‘take your mind by surprise’. The workshop will look at building the key elements of a story and sustaining reader involvement. It’s not specific to any particular genre, so there should be something for everyone! Book onto this workshop.
Steve’s workshop is taking place as part of the Everybody’s Reading Festival.